I wonder how many of us, fourteen years ago, imagined that we would be celebrating the 13th annual New York State Green Building Conference? Yet here we are. Thanks go to our dedicated advisory council, our partners and sponsors, to our staff – and to the strong community of practitioners and educators who represent diverse contexts and roles and who have made this their preferred place to gather, share and advance this critical mission.
While the conference only concluded ten days ago, we’ll now begin planning and preparing for number 14 in 2016.
This year’s conference included an inaugural VIP Pre-conference Reception and Program. We took this opportunity to recognize many of the people who have helped develop and sustain NYS GBC for over a decade. The program included the following remarks:
- United Nations Champion of the Earth / Rick Fedrizzi, CEO, U.S. Green Building Council and CEO, Green Building Certification Institute
- Learning from Our Older Brothers and Sisters: Envisioning Future Buildings / Ed Bogucz, Executive Director, Syracuse Center of Excellence
- A Building that Teaches / Dr. Neil Murphy , Professor and President Emeritus
- Learning from Nature’s Models / Quentin Wheeler, President, SUNY-ESF
In addition to a plenary session led by Rick Fedrizzi and his senior USGBC colleagues, the conference itself featured Chief Oren Lyons (Turtle Clan, Onondaga Nation Faithkeeper), Sam Rashkin (Chief Architect, U.S. Department of Energy’s Building Technologies Office), and outstanding workshops and sponsor sessions. Among the several memorable highlights were
- CenterState CEO recognized Northeast Green Building Consulting, LLC as the first certified B-Corporation in Syracuse, and
- USGBC recognized the ESF Gateway Center’s LEED Platinum designation.
Please join me in expressing appreciation to all who made the 13th NYS GBC a valuable and productive experience – and please plan to join us next year!
Chuck Spuches, Associate Provost, ESF Outreach